Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Creed of the Broken Chain

The inscrutable cultists and terrorists of the Broken Chain have been known in the Sorrowfell Plains only since the Cackledread War, and yet their presence has been notable.  Their secrets remain, unyielding to scrutiny, as they typically die rather than surrender.

Still, exceptions do take place.  In an attack on the Citadel of Sorgforge a couple of years ago, one member of the Broken Chain was captured alive.  He refused to answer any questions, instead repeating the same creed over and over again.  He died in custody when he willfully inhaled his own water glass, silently drowning to death in his cell.

Still, the creed has been recorded, and is presumed to be a standard creed of the Broken Chain.

I am the dagger poised at the heart of the abyss
I am the key by which the prison is opened
I am the hammer by which the chains are broken
By my hand I do the deed
By my will the world is freed

Scholars do not know whether the creed refers to a metaphorical abyss or the Abyss proper.

2 comments:

  1. Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sith creed briefly flashed through my mind when I was contemplating this, but this was probably more influenced by a recent viewing of Dune.

    Perhaps, once my current stack of books is done, I'll properly read Dune.

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly