Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Cross-Pollination

I was mentioned today on Porky's Expanse (specifically my post on microbiology in gaming), so I'll return the favor in an incestuous, Gordian knot of advertising.  I might particularly recommend his recent series of short adventures for the OSR's September of Short Adventures challenge.

As for the post itself at Porky's Expanse, he discusses Heart of Darkness, which is among my favorite books (the weird, paranoid fantasy of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is still probably my top choice), and has been noted as inspiration for The Imperial City.  You should definitely follow the links on the blog post, particularly the one about science fiction inspiring new generations of scientists.  He also talks about finding inspiration in literature, which I have noted in the past.  Although he's talking about cultural milestones like Heart of Darkness and Jurassic Park while I'm talking about, say, Battlefield Earth.

What can I say?  At least I have bacterial culture.

As an aside, Porky was curious how to follow more than 300 blogs on Blogger.  So, if anybody has any familiarity with that or the error message he received, let me know and I'll pass it along (or go comment on his post).

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Good on you for the mention, mate! I'm still intending to pimp you out, I only need to find the right venue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I definitely think there could be more cross-pollination going on, and certainly more cross-linking. It's a true advantage of the medium. It's very natural to say something along the lines of 'here's a post which discusses a microbiology textbook, and here's another which looks at the subject in D&D'. It's so easy to add the link to the post that the only demand is really on memory, remembering where we saw an idea.

    Imperial City sounds like a lot of fun, but guerilla roleplaying even more so. How far could the line be blurred I wonder, between non-playing and playing?

    And I'm now officially a follower! Your follower widget wasn't coming up, something I've noiced at a lot of blogs recently. Following through the widget is never a problem, only through the 'manage blogs' page in the profile. I should have mentioned that in my post. I'll add a comment there.

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly